Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Making a big splash - MarshallIndependent

MARSHALL - While spring is officially here, most people have not been stricken with spring fever yet. But that is not the subject at Marshall Area Christian School, where there are surf boards and palm trees galore. The MACS students are preparing to wow the interview with heartfelt singing, energetic choreography and an unforgettable message as they have a musical production of "Splash Kingdom" Thursday and Friday.

Splash Kingdom represents Heaven, which is saved by gatekeepers like sixth-grader Daniel Grassmann, who portrays Peter, and Jett Skrien, a fifth-grader who plays Gabriel.

"I'm a lifeguard at the front gate and I run Daywatch (similar to Baywatch)," Grassmann said. "I've never been the wizard of a trifle before, so I'm excited to plunge into this role."

The gatekeepers offer Lifesaving 101, which is the route to Heaven.

"It's the Alphabet to life," Grassmann said. "A is admitting that you accept sin, B is believing in God and C is claiming Jesus as your Savior."

As Gabriel, Skrien has a powerful role.

"I get to make the Book of Life," Skrien said. "I get to see who enters Splash Kingdom and who doesn't. It's very fun to take that part."

There are a broad assortment of people trying to get into the spectacular waterpark, including fifth-grader Jonah Bader, who plays Tanner C. Fish, a low blood character.

"I'm a fat kid and give the better of things," Bader said. "I'm afraid of the urine and of drowning. That's why I assume all this protective gear. But I take not to be afraid and that Jesus loves me."

Bader is alarmed to see that he cannot buy his way into the Kingdom, as is top surfer dude, Jacob Graupmann, whose quality is Dew Drop.

"When I was young, my grandparents read the Word to me, but I didn't truly understand," said Graupmann, a sixth-grader. "As the work goes along, I go to commemorate the verses and I get certified to enter Splash Kingdom."

Sixth-grader Claire Boersma and fourth-grader Ellie Harrison are not just dear friends in actual life, they are better friends in the play.

"I'm a cheerleader and a Valley Girl, so I get to say 'like' a lot," said Boersma, who portrays Sandy Shore. I'm best friends with Shelly. We both desire to get into Splash Kingdom, but we can't because we haven't accepted Jesus Christ as our Savior."

Shelly Bubbles is Harrison's character, a cowgirl.

"I make a southern dialect in the play," Harrison said. "My house has taken me to church, but I haven't been accepted yet. (My character) seems very confused. It's actually fun."

All students from kindergarten to sixth degree are tangled in the musical. In gain to larger musical selections, many talented youngsters will get their way to the mike for short solos that will affect the hearts of everyone in attendance.

This will be the seventh play directed by Gerri Carter, who teaches music and set at MACS.

"The substance is very strong through the songs," Carter said. "The title song (Splash Kingdom) is by Steven Curtis Chapman and people might know it. The kids know it. They actually get into the songs that they get to do choreography to."

Production times are 7 p.m. Thursday and Friday in the MACS gymnasium.

No comments:

Post a Comment